20 Clifton Street, Talbot Square,
1 person favorited this theater
The Theatre Royal opened in 1868 as an assembly rooms and part of the building was in use as a library. The entire building was taken over by Yate’s Wine Lodge in around 1896 with the ground floor becoming their famous bar. The upper section of the building containing the theatre began screening Lumiere’s Cinematograpgh in 1897. The building was re-named Tivoli Theatre in 1906. In 1909 it became Van Beine’s Theatre, with musical hall/variety and films on display.
Reconstructed in 1912-1913, it became the Tivoli Picture Theatre, with films as its main programming. The interior was reconstructed in 1930, when it was equipped for sound films.
On 8th October 1964, a fire destroyed the interior of the cinema at the screen end. Yate’s Wine Lodge beneath the cinema was not damaged. The Tivoli Cinema was re-furbished and re-opened in April 1965, with a reduced seating capacity of 650. Closed in the mid-1970’s it became an independent bingo club, known as the Talbot Bingo Club. and it 1969 it became part of the Hutchinson’s chain of bingo clubs.
The bingo club closed in September 1980, and it was re-opened as the Tivoli Cinema in February 1982 with "Hooper" and "Convoy". 450 new luxury seats had been installed. The cinema was not a success, and closed within a few months. It was later converted into a music hall and by 1991 had become the Music Hall Tavern. Yate’s Wine Lodge bar still continued on the ground floor of the building. In later years, the former cinema section was converted into a nightclub and was re-furbished in early 2009.
In the early hours of the morning of 15th February 2009, the entire building was destroyed by a fire, caused by arson.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater