108 West 4th Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Palace Theater was the second movie house for Odessa, built and opened by Joe Rice at 108 West 4th street.
It was equipped with 400 seats, and opened in October, 1927. H.T.Hodge, founder of H & H Theaters at Abilene
took over the theater in March, 1928, and put his son in law: Jack Laird in charge.
The two men were instrumental in also opening later theaters in Odessa; Ector Theater, Plaza Theater, Texas Theater, Lyric Theater & Broncho Drive In.
The Palace Theater fell upon hard times during the great depression, and was closed in July, 1932.
The theater was taken over by James King and it reopened as the State Theater on March 30, 1934. King found out quick it was hard to compete with H&H Theaters and the State was closed in 1935. It reopened as the first Rio Theater in the town, operating from 1936, until closing for good on January 9, 1942.
It was demolished during the 1970’s
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater