56 Montauk Highway,
No one has favorited this theater yet
This small wooden structure was erected by Daniel Fanning next to his hay, grain and feed store. Presumably in the 1920’s. His daughter, Ethel, played the piano for the silent movies. Admission was 35 cents for adults, 15 cents for children.
The marquee of the theatre can plainly be seen in the foreground of a 1935 photo of Montauk Highway in Hampton Bays which can be accessed on the Historical icon of the Hampton Bays Historical Society website home page.
The 1945 Handbook of Hampton Bays shows the theatre offering two evening shows daily of "up to date feature pictures and short subjects".
The theatre was demolished some time in the 1950"s.
There is an indication the seats were not permanent since the space was at times used for roller skating and basketball. The seating capacity is unknown but has been estimated as low as 50. More research is needed on this.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater