115 South Chicago Avenue,
3 people favorited this theater
A contest was conducted to name this theater when it opened on April 17, 1922. The prize-winning name ‘Lindo’, was taken from the names Lincoln and Douglas to commemorate their second debate, which had been held in Freeport.
Seating for 1,200 was provided on one level, with no balcony. A stage was provided for vaudeville performances, with dressing rooms below the stage. It was equipped with a Bennett pipe organ. It was closed in May 1934 due to financial issues, but was re-opened in February 1938. In 1939 it had a new owner and was re-named Freeport Theatre and continued until closing in 1984.
The cinema was purchased by Classic Cinemas and the name reverted back to Lindo Theatre. It was divided into three screens and in 1997 three more screens were added.
In 2008, Classic Cinemas added four new stadium seating auditoriums and the original tripling from 1984 was renovated into two new stadium seat auditoriums, to bring the total to 9-screens. Two auditoriums have digital projection with 3D. The recreated sign from 1922, was also recreated and installed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater