9038 Melrose Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Fox West Coast Theatres
Architects: Frank Rasche
Previous Names: AMPAS Academy Award Theatre
West Hollywood was still called Sherman when the Marquis Theatre was built in 1925. Operated by Fox West Coast Theatres for many years, the house was sold to the Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1946, and altered for use as the Academy’s headquarters.
Even before the theatre was purchased by the Academy, Fox West Coast had often made the house available for special screenings related to the Academy’s annual Oscar events, such as block screenings of nominated short subjects. In 1948, the Oscar ceremonies themselves were presented at the Marquis Theatre, by then called the AMPAS Theatre.
The Academy moved to a new headquarters in Beverly Hills in 1976, and the Marquis Theatre was demolished. The site is currently occupied by a modern office complex and its parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.