Plaza Theatre

W. Sunrise Highway,
Freeport, NY 11520

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 2 comments

robboehm
robboehm on September 29, 2013 at 10:14 am

Surprised to learn that Century managed this for a time. In the comments section for some other theatre it was noted in the Box Office for 1938 that among the managerial changes within the Century Circuit Howard Weiss, Asst. Mgr. of the Fantasy in Rockville Centre became the manager of the Plaza.

robboehm
robboehm on August 17, 2009 at 8:43 pm

According to data from the Freeport Historical Society the theatre began operations in 1912 and was run by Charles and Jennie Reitmeyer. Over the years the theatre was renovated several times. While it didn’t start out as white it was painted in later years. As a wooden structure adjacent to the railroad tracks the building was known to shake when a train past.

In later years it was operated by Dr. Frank Calderone along with the Mineola and Westbury Theatres.

It’s final use before demolition, due to a grade crossing elimination project in 1959-60, was as a music school.

Incidentally, the name Grove Street was retired when the thorofare was renamed after local luminary and band leader Guy Lombardo.