Fort Theatre

19 Milwaukee Avenue E,
Fort Atkinson, WI 53538

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Fort Theatre, Fort Atkinson, WI in 1930

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Fort Theatre dates back to at least 1930. This theatre operated into the 1950’s or later.

Today only the facade remains, but in a much altered state.

Contributed by Lost Memory

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Trolleyguy
Trolleyguy on May 4, 2009 at 6:48 pm

The “facadectomy” that was done on the building left nothing recognizable to suggest that it was formerly a theater. On the lower level are public restrooms and the upper floor has storage rooms for the Chamber of Commerce.

LouisRugani
LouisRugani on August 11, 2010 at 7:04 pm

October 25, 1968)
Sprague Theater Sold at Elkhorn

ELKHORN – Dan Kelliher, owner and operator of Sprague Theatre here for the past 46 years, has sold the business to James K. Anderson, Whitewater. Possession will be given Nov. 1. Anderson is a part owner of the Strand Theater in Whitewater, the Fort Theater in Fort Atkinson and the Highway 18 Outdoor Theater near Jefferson. He managed the Strand Theater for eight years.
A former cashier of the First Citizens State Bank of Whitewater, Anderson is now in the investment business. He will manage the theater here but does not plan to move to Elkhorn. He has a summer home at Lauderdale Lakes.
Kelliher purchased the former Princess Theater here in 1922 and has presented the Elkhorn movies for 46 of the 58 years they have been shown.
Mr. and Mrs. Kelliher were originally from Mt. Horeb.
The present Sprague Theater was completed in 1928. The first “talking picture” was shown in 1929. During various portions of his business career Kelliher also leased or owned theaters at Lake Geneva, East Troy, Burlington and Delavan.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater