10 Mile End Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Originally opened as the Royal Assemby Hall some film shows were held in the building at the turn of the 20th century. It had two entrances, one on Ocean Road, the other on Mile End Road. Both these entrances led to the auditorium at the rear and were connected to it via small bridges over a narrow alley.
It opened as a full time cinema known as the Scala Cinema on 4th October 1920, after alterations and re-modeling had been carried out by architects Pascal Joseph Stienlet & Herbert Selwyn Dixon under the supervision of architect Jos H. Morton. Operated by Black’s Theatres circuit, the Scala Cinema was taken over by General Theatre Corporation(GTC) in March 1928. In May 1928, they were taken over by Gaumont British Theatres chain. One of the facades was altered in 1938.
It was re-named Gaumont from 12th March 1951, and the Ocean Road entrance was closed in 1960, and was converted into retail use. The Rank Organisation disposed of the Gaumont to the Brent Walker chain of cinemas from 5th October 1975 and it was re-named Focus Cinema.
Taken over by an independent, it was re-named Regal Cinema. Converted into a 3-screen cinema from 24th May 1980, it now had seating capacities for 329, 74 and 74. The two small screens were video presentations. This was a short lived venture as the Regal Cinema closed on 26th June 1982.
The building became a bingo club and amusement centre from 19th June 1984. It has since been converted into a nightclub, going through several owners and name changes; The Venue, Masons, Coyote Wild and Vibe.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater