Old Regent Ballroom
19 Corringham Road,
Stanford Le Hope,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Stanford-Le-Hope, Essex. The Regent Cinema was a small independent that opened in February 1935 with “20 Million Sweethearts” starring Dick Powell & Ginger Rogers. It had an unusual design in that the entrance area was at a 90 degree angle to the main hall. The cinema was equipped with stage facilities and had one dressing room.
It normally played second string to the big cinemas in nearby Grays – showing only second run films. It closed as a cinema in the 1970’s. The auditorium had a floor built across at balcony level, and the ground floor became a bingo club, with the upstairs used as a pool and snooker hall, operating as the Regent Leisure Centre. Eventually Riley’s snooker took over the entire building. It was closed in the early-2000’s, and the building suffered water damage.
Taken over by new owners in 2013, it was renamed Old Regent Ballroom, and presents cabaret and other events downstairs, and a ballroom/dance studio upstairs.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater