2-10 Tunbridge Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Queens Hall was operating as a cinema in 1914, with a seating capacity of 400.. This was later owned by the Alderson family, who were also associated with the parish church. Terry and his wife Beattie ran the Queens Cinema in the 1960’s, and their management is remembered as being particularly efficient.
At one stage, the admission price for children included the provision of an orange.
Like the Lido Cinema, the Queens Cinema tried Continental (X) certificate films and the name was changed accordingly in around 1962.
The building was used as a meeting place in May 1965 by the Indian and Pakistani community to discuss the future of an eight-day industrial strike in which many of them were involved. The Continental Cinema had closed by 1972.
It was converted into a Punjabi Temple, The building was remodeled in the 1990’s, but can always be remembered for its former use.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater