Dalston Picture Playhouse

66 Kingsland High Street,
London, E8 2JP

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 1 comment

Woody_London
Woody_London on November 26, 2016 at 9:00 am

This was the Dalston Picture Playhouse of 1914, initial plans had an entrance on Ridley Rd but final plans had a full entrance onto the High Street, it seated 485 people with stalls and circle, it was a long tall and narrow building (purpose built) with a barrel vaulted ceiling, it stood on roughly the footprint of the current Poundland store which is a new building from when the whole area was redeveloped into the Kingsland Shopping Centre. It didn’t seem to have much success and its licence lapsed in 1916, and by 1920 when a Mr Odell applied to reopen it he found the cost of repairs too heavy and it never operated as a cinema again. Its architect was Ernest Cannell.