The Square, James Street,
1 person favorited this theater
A popular cinema built in 1939 in the traditional style with impressive stadium style seating in the balcony/circle area. The proscenium was 32 feet wide. Owned and operated by the Ebbw Vale Theatres Limited/Jackson Withers Circuit. Some renovation work was carried out in the 1952 to the plans of architect David E. Nye, and he planned the installation of wide-screen and a re-decoration in 1953.
The Astoria Cinema was closed in 1965, and demolished in 1970 to make way for a new Tesco store. The cinema was demolished with seating, projection equipment, screen, tabs etc. intact.
In December 1970 the new Tesco supermarket which replaced the old cinema was closed. Wetherspoons developed the old supermarket into a pub called the Picture House in recognition of the cinema which once stood on the site with memorabilia decorating the walls in replica cinema style poster boards with replica cinema style lighting from the 1930’s and 1940’s. Although a little back from where the current Tesco/pub entrance is. The pub opened on 12th May 1998 and has been a popular venue for the town.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater