1 person favorited this theater
Built during the 1800’s, the Market Hall adapted to a number of popular uses serving the needs of the day and the town.
From 1913, the venue was a cinema known as the Olympia Cinema. During the 1940’s the cinema formed part of the Jackson Withers Circuit, competing successfully with other cinemas operating in the town within the same street. The Olympia Cinema outlived them all, closing during the 1970’s, following a period of time when it functioned partly as a cinema and bingo.
Eventually the cinema converted to full time bingo as a Top Rank Bingo Club, before it’s full closure in the 1980’s. With the golden era of bingo over with, the venue remained unused for some years before adapting to retail use as a carpet showroom. The cinema was converted to a pub and now forms part of the popular JD Wetherspoon chain. Named ‘The Olympia’ it opened on 18th July 2001.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater