Mox Theatre

2019 W. Main Street,
Blytheville, AR 72315

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

Mox Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Chicksaw Theatre opened in 1941. It was gutted by a fire which occurred in an adjoining building on March 18, 1947. It was rebuilt, reopening as the Mox Theatre on November 12, 1947 with Jeanne Crain in “State Fair”. It was closed November 13, 1960 with “Enemy Below” & “Apache Warrior”.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on April 23, 2017 at 5:22 am

Mr. and Mrs. Von Mullens appear to have opened the Chickasaw Theatre in 1941 at 2019 West Main Street. The Mullens sold to Warren L. Moxley of Memphis in 1945. On March 18, 1947, the theatre is gutted after the neighboring Friztzius Dry Goods store burns down. The theatre is rebuilt launching again November 12, 1947 as the Mox Theatre with “State Fair.”

In August of 1953, Moxley showed the first 3D film in Blytheville with “The Maze.” The television age wasn’t kind to the neighborhood theater. Moxley sold the theatre to W.F. McCann who then sold it to Sam Becker, the final operator in 1956 downgrading it to weekend operation only. Becker closed the Mox Theatre apparently after the November 13, 1960 showing of “Enemy Below” and “Apache Warrior.” The theatre was later demolished.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on April 23, 2017 at 6:00 am

This theatre was never the “Chicksaw.” It opened as the Chickasaw (like the Indian tribe). It was purchased in December of 1945 by Warren Moxley and renamed the Chick Theatre. It was gutted by fire as the Chick Theatre in March of 1947. It was named the Mox after its owner in November of 1947.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater