4 Church Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Capitol Cinema was built for and was operated by Wainwright’s London & District Cinemas Ltd. It was opened on 30th December 1929 with Warner Baxter in "Behind the Curtain". The auditorium was in a semi-Atmospheric style, with wooden beams across the ceiling, revealing a sky effect behind them. The side-walls were in a traditional style with an ornamental freize across the top in an Art Deco style. There were decorative grilles on the side-walls beside the proscenium, which had a surround of deep coves of scolloped planes, which had illuminated edges. The Capitol Cinema also had a cafe/restaurant, which contained a small dance floor.
The Capitol Cinema was taken over by the Granada Theatres Ltd. chain on 24th November 1946, and it was re-named Granada on 4th May 1947. For many years, the Granada played the Gaumont circuit releases, as Gaumont Theatres did not have their own cinema in the town.
The Granada closed on 15th October 1960. The building was sold to property developers in March 1961, and it was demolished. A supermarket and offices known as Capitol House was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater