1 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The building, next to the railway bridge, had originally housed Chuter Brothers builders merchants. Mr H. Farmer of Redhill was employed to draw up plans to convert the building into a cinema, which opened as the Cinema Royal in either late-1910 or early-1911. Originally, the seating capacity was for 200, but it was enlarged in 1917 to provide 650 seats, in stalls and balcony levels. It was operated by the Thompson family.
The Cinema Royal was refurbished in 1929 when sound films were added. There was now a free car park, which had an attendant.
The Cinema Royal was closed on 2nd April 1938 with Slim Summerville in “The Road Back”. The land had been compulsory purchased by the council to widen the High Street on that side of the road. The building was demolished, but due to World War II commencing in September 1939, the road widening scheme was put on hold, and the site remained derelict until after the war. It was never built on, and remains an empty plot of land, adjacent to the railway bridge.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater