55 Woodgrange Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the east London district of Forest Gate. Opened in April 1910, the Forest Gate Electric Theatre was entered through a former shop, and had its 700 seat auditorium built at the rear of a parade of shops. It was designed by architect G.J. Valentine. Around 1914 it was re-named Forest Gate Electrical Theatre. It was soon re-named Imperial Playhouse and was owned by Smithers & Spindler.
In 1922 it was taken over by London & Provincial Cinemas Ltd. Closed for alterations in 1932, they were carried out by architects Gledhall & Wigmore and it re-opened in July 1935 as the Regal Cinema, operated by Abraham’s Suburban Cinemas Ltd. It had a 25 feet wide proscenium.
By 1937, it had new owners and was closed in March 1938. It re-opened on 1st October 1938 under new owners and was re-named Rio Cinema. S.M. Super Cinemas later took over and it was closed in early-1944.
The building has since been demolished and new shops now occupy the site. In 2008, a Charity Shop operates from the exact address.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater