Muncie Civic Theatre

216 East Main Street,
Muncie, IN 47308

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Muncie Civic Theatre, Muncie, IN

Viewing: Photo | Street View

This theater in downtown Muncie has long been been a cultural mainstay throughout a series of economic booms and busts. It originally opened September5, 1904 as the Star Theatre, a vaudeville house. It became the Polular Star Theatre from 1906 to 1925 when it reverted back to the Star Theatre name and wasa later equipped for ‘talkies’.

It was renamed the Hoosier Theatre on May 6, 1935, remaining in operation as a movie house until its closure in 1954. During the 1940’s and 1950’s, the Hoosier Theatre was part of the Y & W chain. It was closed July 20, 1955. It reopened in 1961 as the Muncie Civic Theatre.

The Civic Theatre is still a popular venue for local actors and community productions.

Contributed by Marguerite Rippy, Lost Memory/Bryan Krefft

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

paulnelson
paulnelson on January 16, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Great proscenium and detailed vintage curtain. Also lighting and molding trim. Glad it is stil going strong.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on January 23, 2017 at 7:48 am

Opened as the Star Theatre on September 5, 1904 within the Boyce Block Building built in 1880. It became known as the Popular Star Theatre – big shows at popular prices – from 1906 to 1925. It reverted to the Star Theatre adding sound. A contest held by new operator to rename the theatre led to the revamped Hoosier Theatre launching May 6, 1935 on a 20-year lease. The Hoosier Theatre expanded to widescreen but closed on July 20, 1955 after a double feature of “Gangbusters” and “Outlaw Treasure.” The building had sporadic sermons, political rallies and meetings until being taken on as the Civic Center.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater