Essoldo Manor Park
942 Romford Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Although first known as the Ilford Corona Cinema, it was actually located outside the Ilford boundary. It opened on 15th September 1921 with Edith Hallor in "The Blue Pearl" and Milton Rosmer in "The Diamond Necklace". There was an arched entrance, while inside the auditorium, seating was provided in stalls, circle and boxes. The cinema also had a tea lounge.
Inititially an independent, it was re-named Coliseum Cinema in 1923. Alterations were made by George Coles, one of the original architects in 1928, 1930 and again in 1932. By 1933 it had been taken over by Black’s Theatres Ltd. By 1943, it was operated by S.M. Super Cinemas Ltd.
In August 1954, they were taken over by the Essoldo Cinemas chain, based in Newcastle upon Tyne and it was re-named Essoldo in 1955.
The Essoldo was closed on 21st September 1963 with Rock Hudson in "A Gathering of Eagles" and Audie Murphy "Hell Bent For Leather". It was converted into a Vogue bingo club, which was later closed and the building was demolished in 1970. Housing was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater