29 Gloucester Road North,
1 person favorited this theater
The Cabot Cinema was a suburban single-screen cinema just outside Bristol’s city limits, showing second-run films. Located on a corner position at the junction of Braemar Avenue and Gloucester Road North. The Cabot Cinema opened on 7th October 1937 with Matheson Lang in “Drake of England”. Although an independent, it was leased to the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain. During World War II, the foyer was used as a recruitment centre for the armed forces and various civilian organisations doing war work (the Red Cross, Civil Defence Force etc.)
The lease was taken back from ABC in 1956, and it remained an independent cinema until closing in July 1961 (with a Rock ‘n Roll concert on the stage). The paybox was moved to the Gaiety Cinema, Knowle.
It became a Fine Fare supermarket from May 1962. After this closed, it lay empty for some time before being demolished to make way for a mixed retail and housing development, named Cabot Court. Perhaps ironically, one of the retail units in the development is a Blockbuster video store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater