81-93 Plumstead High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the southeast London district of Plumstead, on the corner of Plumstead High Street and Garibaldi Street, with the entrance set back from Plumstead High Street. The Empire Kinema opened in November 1913. It was the second cinema to be operated by Alexander Bernstein, who later formed the Granada Theatres Ltd. chain. It was a very basic building, with the roof trusses visible in the auditorium, and all seating on a single floor.
It was taken over in 1928, by Gaumont/Denham Theatres, but was operated by Bernstein/Granada. In 1928, architect Cecil Masey carried out some modernisation (mainly to the facade), and it re-opened on 27th July 1928 as the Kinema.
It was re-named Century Cinema on 3rd March 1952, and was closed by Granada Theatres Ltd. on 24th September 1960 with Clark Gable in "The Tall Men" and "Times Like These".
The building was converted into a warehouse, and in later years became a training centre, which had ceased by 1997. In the Summer of 2008, the exterior of the building had been given a coat of white paint and signs attached, stating it had been acquired by the L&O Group (a propery management group). Current use is unknown.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater