Hollywood Plaza Cinema
159 N. Marine Road,
2 people favorited this theater
Opened in 1918 the North Bay Cinema was an elegant Edwardian hall with a single balcony. It thrived with silent films but being outside the town centre struggled out of season and closed – probably before being converted to sound.
It then was stripped out and became a garage until the 1980’s when Arthur Turner, seeking a home for the 3 manual/8 ranks Wurlitzer organ (with grand piano) that he had bought (when it was removed from the Ipswich ABC Cinema) reconverted the old cinema back for film usage.
Now it has a single steep bank of seats and is known as the Hollywood Plaza. Unfortunately all the plasterwork was lost long ago so the resulting auditorium is a little plain but is still a fine place to watch a film.
Sadly the Wurlitzer organ (and its ‘ghost piano’ had little use and was removed in 20008 going into storage. It was announced in October 2018 the instrument would be removed from storage and installed in the Plaza Cinema Waterloo, Crosby north of Liverpool. Installation will take pace in early-2019.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater