1 person favorited this theater
The Blair Theatre was built by P. J. Caudell, contractor L. B. Tomlinson per "The Monroe Enquirer" on October 13, 1938, page 2. Described as having a "modernistic appearance" it was "steam heated, air-cooled" and "furnished with modern, comfortable seats". Parks Blair was the first manager. Opening feature: "Garden of the Moon" with Pat O'Brien and Margaret Lindsay.
The theatre was segregated, having a balcony for "colored people". Matinee prices were 10 and 20 cents; Evening: 10 and 25 cents. "The Home of Better Pictures" would be a later tagline in their ads. This theatre was destroyed by fire March 16, 1952 but was rebuilt, reopening in June of that year with a lease contracted by Carl McIlwain who would also act as manager.
Improvements were made during the rebuilding such as a larger screen ("latest type made of plastic" per "The Marshville Home", June 12, 1952, page 1). There were also plans for a future complete concession stand. By January of 1953, Irl Bivens, Jr. had purchased the theatre and also took over the management as the current manager, John Dennis Rollins, was leaving for service in the Army. ("The Marshville Home", Jan. 29, 1953, page 1) Rollins originally was the projectionist in 1952.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater