214 Great North Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Built in 1927 the Theatre Royal was one of two movie cinemas that served Winton. According the New Zealand Historic Places Trust: "the Theatre Royal, built in 1927 by local firm Balch Brothers, was one of two theatres in town, the other being the Radio Hall. The Theatre Royal had two shaped auditorium floors and it seated 750. It was fitted for both live and cinematic performances.
It closed as a theatre in 1978 and was a second-hand store which closed by 2000. The upper floor is still in use a dentist’s surgery. In 2008 the Theatre Royal sold to a local property developer who wanted to turn it into a mini-mall. The developer got as far as removing the seats and any debris left behind, however the economic recession has put this project on hold.
Since 2003, the facade has Heritage status as a part of the Winton Great North Road Historic Area.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.