54 West Main Street,
3 people favorited this theater
The Valle Theatre opened April 20th 1948. Owned by Walter F. Yost Theatres. The Valle Theatre was managed by Mrs. Robert F. Handley, mother in law of Yost with the assistance of her daughter Pauline.
Opening night found the house crowed far beyond it’s 700 seat capacity as civic leaders, townspeople and representatives from the motion picture industry from Philadelphia and the Harrisburg attended the debut. Robert F. Handley handled the opening affair.
The theatre is of cement block construction with all steel roof and seven all steel door exits. Forty-five x 192 feet, overall the building houses in addition to the spacious auditorium, a large lobby and foyer, mens and ladies restrooms, large projection booth, two apartments an a store room.
The color scheme of mulberry, blue, copper and gold has been followed throughout. The cashiers booth, built into the wall, opens directly into the lobby, providing easy access and heating for the cashier. The marquee and name sign are of maroon and black glass with chrome trim. In the lobby is a popcorn and candy counter.
The projection booth was equipped with two Super-Simplex machines. Peerless magnarc lamps, and a RCA sound. An emergency lighting system by Kohler was also installed.
The Valle Theatre was the fifth theatre in the Yost chain. The same firm owning the Grand, Penway and Roxy theatre’s in the Harrisburg area.
The Valle Theatre was closed in 1978.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater