No one has favorited this theater yet
The Victoria Theater at 125-127 Broadway in Lawrence MA, was built in 1910, the same year as, and situated diagonally across the street from, the Broadway Theater. It was originally owned by A.A. Kellerman, who also owned the Pastime Theater at 386 Essex St. (1908-1913). According to Moving Picture World magazine (Volume 18 No. 6 November 8, 1913) it was "purchased by a company, headed by Hiram Abrams, known as the Victoria Amusement Company. Motion Pictures will continiue to be the policy. F. S. Earger of New York, has been secured as manager, and he comes with a good record behind him. ‘In The Bishop’s Carriage’ was the first feature under the new management."
In 1914 the "Report of the Chief of the Massachusetts District Police" listed the Victoria Theatre licensed to D. F. Conlon but by 1920 listed it licensed to the Victoria Theater Company of Lawrence and Harold Siskind as President. Harold Meyer Siskind, with offices in the Bay State building, was also treasurer of the Capitol Amusement Company.
According to Louis Brady Sandberg writer of "Lawrence in the Gilded Age", Siskind’s father Dr. Alexander L. Siskind had started his association with the movie industry when he opened the Marquise Theater (1908-1910) at 503 Essex St. and would later purchase the Victoria Theatre. Heading the Empire Amusement Company he would later purchase the Empire, Palace, Broadway and Premier Theatre’s and take a lease on the Colonial Theatre.
The Victoria Theatre operated until 1946 at which time it became the State Theatre. The State Theatre operated until 1952. The site of the Victoria Theatre, opposite theater row, is now a Walgreen’s drug store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater