No one has favorited this theater yet
The Regal Cinema in Bridlington, is identical to the Regal Cinema in Walton on Thames. Both were designed by architect C. Edmund Wilford for Lou Morris, and the Regal Cinema, Bridlington opened on July 28, 1938. It was a handsome building equipped with a large cafe area at 1st floor level above a parade of shops, and a stage 43 feet deep behind the proscenium arch of the same width. There were 4 dressing rooms. A ballroom and a Compton 3Manual/6Rank organ were also contained in the building.
The lavish plasterwork screens either side of the stage were designed by the famous company of Mollo & Egan (Alexander Bilimin is credited with the work). A large decorated band ran from rear circle to screen containing the main light source.
However just a few months after opening, the Regal Cinema was sold to the Mayfair circuit. In 1943 the whole of the Mayfair Circuit was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) who retained the Regal Cinema until 1969 when it was sold to the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain who operated it as a bingo hall in the stalls and stage areas and a cinema in the circle. The Compton organ was removed at this time.
The Regal Cinema closed Christmas Eve 1971 and the auditorium is now exclusively used for bingo as a Gala Bingo Club. A snooker hall operates separately in the cafe/ballroom space.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater