Sag Harbor Cinema
90 Main Street,
6 people favorited this theater
Built on the site of the George’s Theatre. The Elite Theatre opened on November 1, 1919 with Douglas Fairbanks in “His Majesty, The American” plus two Fatty Arbuckle comedies. Seating was provided for 700 in the orchestra and 300 in the balcony. The Elite Theatre was equipped with a Wurlitzer theatre pipe organ.
The theatre was renamed Glynne’s Sag Harbor Theatre when it was acquired by the Mike Glynne’s chain in September 1927, for an amount rumored to be between $35,000 and $40,000. On October 13, 1929 it screened its first ‘talkie’ “Kitty” starring Estelle Brody. The movie was a British made part-talkie.
This small town movie house was remodeled in 1936 by Prudential Long Island Theatres Inc. and a new 516-seat auditorium and facade was designed by noted theatre architect John Eberson. It reopened June 3, 1936 with Shiley Temple in “Captain January”. It became best known architecturally for its vintage auditorium, white facade, and neon lettering.
In July 1968 Prudential were taken over by United Artists and it was renamed Sag Harbor Cinema. It is located in the central shopping district of this popular resort town near the Hamptons. Still a delightful single screen art house cinema, its chocolate covered popcorn is also not to be missed!
On 16th December 2016 the front of the Sag Harbor Cinema was destroyed by a fire which spread from a nearby cafe. The auditorium was spared.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater