Rua do Passeio 38-40,
Rio de Janeiro
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the central Cinelandia district of Rio. The Palacio Teatro opened in 1902, designed by architect Adolfo Morales. It has a beautiful Moorish style facade, and this style of decoration possibly extended inside the building originally. In 1929 it was reconstructed to the plans of architect Mathias Ferreira and the auditorium was given an Art Deco style. Seating was provided in orchestra and two balcony levels. It re-opened on 29th June 1929 with Charles King in “Melodia da Broadway” (Broadway Melody of 1929).
The Cine Palacio was the first cinema in Rio de Janeiro to be equipped with CinemaScope, when “The Robe” was presented. In later years it was twinned, and the facade was covered with metal sheeting. It was closed in the mid-2000’s.
In 2011, the building stands empty and unused, and is protected by the Mayor of the city, which stops any development, demolition or alterations. Since closing the facade has been renovated and an earlier marquee and signage dating from the twinning have been removed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater