Tamarack Cafe and Moviehouse
153 Route 28,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Styles: Quonset Hut
Previous Names: Gaiety Theatre
News About This Theater
The Gaiety Theatre was opened in 1926. It suffered a roof fall in the winter of 1941/1942. In 1943 it operated as an open-air theatre.
In early-August 1946, was operated by Morris Shulman of Uttica. It was the first Quonset Hut style movie theatre to open in the United States. It operated as a seasonal theatre.
After a period of closure, it has reopened as the Tamarack Cafe and Moviehouse, operating July & August. Playing second run movies at $3 for all ages. It was closed on Labor Day weekend, 2012.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
Status should be changed to closed; the last films were shown on Labor Day weekend in 2012. The owners plan to demolish the theater and build an amusement arcade, miniature golf course, and a restaurant on the site.
According to this article about the closing, the theater actually opened in 1926 and operated as an open air theater for the summer of 1943 after a roof collapse in the winter of 1942-43.
1945 postcard added via John de Sousa. Gaiety Theatre vertical sign on left.