New Parade Cinema
8 Fort Hill,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Classic Cinemas (UK)
Previous Names: Parade Cinema, Picture Theatre, Classic Cinema, New Parade Entertainment Centre
The Parade Cinema opened on 26th June 1911. Typical of a purpose-built cinema of its era, it had a barrel vaulted ceiling, and all seating was on a single floor. The right-hand side of the auditorium was extended beyond the main body of the auditorium, which gave a distorted view onto the screen for seating on that side. A sliding roof was provided for ventilation. In 1914 it was re-named Picture Theatre. The Parade Cinema was renovated in 1937.
By 1952, it had been taken over by the Classic Cinemas chain, and was re-named Classic Repertory Cinema. It was closed in 1963, and became a Vogue Bingo Club.
From 9th July 1979 it went back to cinema use as the New Parade Entertainment Centre. But this was short lived and it became a 16mm cinema club screening uncensored sex films which closed in November 1981.
In 1982, it was converted into a snooker club. A false ceiling has been inserted in the auditorium, hiding the original barrel vaulted ceiling, and the main entrance has been partially bricked in. In 2009, it is known as the Thanet Matchroom Social Club. In 2014 it was converted into an indoor market, and the false ceiling in the auditorium was removed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.