1069 Market Street,
3 people favorited this theater
The Guild Theatre opened as the Egyptian Theatre on March 14, 1925 with "The Last Man on Earth." Its policy was low price, late run releases primarily for the Market Street walk by trade.
On December 24, 1943 it reopened as the Studio Theatre, with somewhat rangier fare, of the “Reefer Madness” variety, catering to the larger number of transient and service personnel frequenting the war-time streets of San Francisco.
After the war, it regained its respectability, at least for a while, and reopened on June 6, 1947 as the Guild Theatre with the first run re-release showing of MGM’s “The Great Waltz” which ran for two months followed by the first major re-release of “Gone with the Wind”, which ran for three months.
By the end of 1947, it reverted back to late run low priced action films aimed at the drop-in crowd, eventually offering three features for fifty cents. It was remodeled by San Francisco architect/designer Gale Santocono around this time.
By the 1970’s it was imitating its sister theater next door, the Centre Theatre, and was offering adult films; appropriately, it was renamed the Pussycat Theatre in 1974, and so remained for the next thirteen years.
Like the Centre Theatre, it closed in December 1987, and has since been converted into retail space.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater