445 Geary Street,
5 people favorited this theater
Curran Theatre (Official)
Previously operated by: Shubert Brothers Theater Company
Architects: Alfred Henry Jacobs
Previous Names: Century Theater
News About This Theater
- May 9, 2008 — Theatre Historical Society Conclave To Visit Bay Area
The Curran Theatre opened on September 10, 1922. It was built at a cost of $800,000 by Curran and Schubert Theatres; Alfred Henry Jacobs was the architect.
For eighty uninterrupted years, the Curran Theatre has served San Francisco theater-goers with top of the line legitimate productions, most recently the incredibly long running “Les Miserables” and “Phantom of the Opera”.
On September 3, 1921 it was renamed Century Theater with a screening of “Queen of Sheba” starring Betty Blythe. In 1925, the film version of “Phantom of the Opera”, starring the legendary Lon Chaney was shown at the Curran Theatre.
But what does that matter? The Curran Theatre is a beautifully maintained architectural treasure, still operated according to the highest imagineable standards, a living example of San Francisco’s theatrical and architectural heritage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.