48 Middle Gate,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Savoy Cinema opened on 30th January 1936 with Irene Dunne in "Roberta". It had a rather narrow entrance on Middle Gate, with most of the facade made up of windows. The foyer walls were lined in Mahogany panels. Inside the auditorium seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. The proscenium was 40 feet wide. There was a cafe for the convenience of patrons.
Initially it was independently operated. In the early-1950’s, it was taken over by the Leeds based, Star Cinemas chain. The single screen Savoy Cinema was closed on 15th April 1972. It was converted into a four-screen cinema, and re-opened as Studios 1-2-3-4 on 22nd June 1972, all four auditoriums were in the former stalls area. The Studios operated until closing on 10th May 1984.
On 27th July 1985, it was re-opened as an independent cinema, now known as the Paragon Cinema, but only two of the screens were re-opened. The Paragon Cinema was closed on 1st January 1987 with Walt Disney’s "Cinderella" and "Transformers 2" plus "F.X. Minders". The building had been sold for redevelopment.
The facade and foyer was retained (in 2009 in use as a branch of Halifax Building Society), but the auditorium was demolished in 1989/1990.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater