7 Delamere Street,
1 person favorited this theater
One of the original Odeon Theatres, built for and operated by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. The Odeon was opened on 26th July 1937 with Conrad Veidt in "Dark Journey". The cinema was a fine example of the ‘Odeon style’ and was designed by architect Budge Reid out of the Harry Weedon offices. The facade over the entrance was clad in cream tiles, and had three windows which were deeply set into the front. To the right was a slender fin tower feature in brick, which had the Odeon name across the top. To the right of this was a small parade of shops, with flats above. The auditorium ran parallel to the street, behind the shops and flats. Seating was provided on a semi-stadium plan, with a separate stepped raised section at the rear which seated 274, and the remainder of the 855 seats were on the main floor. Decorative panels on the splay walls each side of the proscenium were designed by interior designers Mollo & Egan. There was a small stage and two dressing rooms.
Later controlled by the Rank Organisation, they leased the cinema to the Brent Walker organisation on 25th October 1975, and it was re-named Focus Cinema. The Focus Cinema was closed on 26th May 1983 with Bruce Campbell in "The Evil Dead" and "Dreamhouse". It was demolished in September 1983 and a McDonalds Restaurant and other shops and a post office were built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater