716 N. Lincoln Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The York Theatre opened in 1928. The February 11, 1928 York News-Times featured a drawing of the proposed building. Construction began in early March and it opened on Sept. 12, 1928. Seating was listed at 895. The theater was last operated by Central States Theatres who also operated the Sun Theatre three blocks to the south of the York.
The York Theatre did not survive as a theater. In 1956, the building was converted to retail space with a dropped ceiling hiding the original ornate interior trim. The stage was removed and a level floor was built over the original raked floor.
The YORK sign survives as a ‘Welcome’ sign on the York County Fairgrounds. A wind storm toppled the upper portion of the facade in 1993.
The fabric shop that occupies the space has recently narrowed its focus and operated as the Quilt Basket in 2009.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater