331 Rawlinson Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on the corner of Abbey Road and Rawlinson Road. The Coliseum Cinema was built on the site or the wooden 1,200-seat Hippodrome Theatre which had been destroyed by fire. The Coliseum Cinema was opened on 8th September 1914. The corner entrance had an attractive facade covered in white tiles, and was topped by a dome. By 1918, it was part of the James Brennan chain of cinemas.
It had a decent size stage, and in the 1930’s stage shows were intermixed with films as part of the programme, and this continued into the late-1940’s. The Coliseum Cinema was taken over by the Union Cinemas chain in August 1936, and they were taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) in October 1937.
The Coliseum Cinema was taken over by the Newcastle based Essoldo chain on 21st March 1948. It was closed in January 1964 and was demolished in 1977.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater