Birmingham Road & Queslett Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Located on the corner of Birmingham Road and Queslett Road, in the north Birmingham suburb of Great Barr. The Beacon Cinema was built and operated bt the Clifton Cinemas chain, and opened on 7th March 1938 with Will Hay in "Oh, Mister Porter". The Beacon Cinema opened just two weeks after the company’s nearby Clifton Cinema, located on Walsall Road.
The Beacon Cinema was very similar to the style of Odeon cinemas whicher were being built at that time. It was built in brick, and had a striking corner entrance, with a sweeping curve on the canopy, and a square tower, which originally had an Art Deco style clock. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels, and the proscenium was 40 feet wide.
The Beacon Cinema was closed on 16th December 1972 with "The Nympho" and "Erotic Three". The building then stood empty and unused for the following 10 years. It was demolished in 1982, and an office block named Beacon Court was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater