23-27 Tamworth Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Regal Cinema was opened on 18th July 1932 with Maisie Gay in "The Old Man" and Shirley Dale in "The Begger Student". It was designed by Birmingham based architect Harold Seymour Scott, who was also one of the directors of the independent operating company.
Styled both externally and internally in a ‘delicate’ Egyptian/Art Deco style, seating in the auditorium was provided for 1,000 in the stalls and 300 in the circle. The proscenium was 40 feet wide, and there was a cafe for the convenience of cinema patrons.
By November 1932, it had been leased to the County Cinemas chain. Briefly taken over by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. in September 1939, it soon went back to the original independent owners in around 1941.
In August 1943, it was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain. They operated the Regal Cinema until July 1969, when the Star Cinemas chain took over. Part time bingo was introduced on several nights a week, and the Regal Cinema screened its final film; Bruce Lee in "The Big Boss" on 10th July 1974. It was then converted into a full time Star Bingo Club.
In the late-1970’s, the building was sold and was converted into a Kwik Save supermarket, with a snooker club operating in the former cafe area. By around 2008, the building was ‘For Sale’ or ‘To Let’ for leisure use. In February 2010, plans were proposed to demolish the auditorium and build a hotel on the site, retaining the Regal Cinema’s facade as the entrance.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater