Loew's Star Theatre
71-77 Clinton Avenue South,
1 person favorited this theater
Gordon’s Theatre opened on 17th February 1913 and was said to be one of the most modern and pretentious motion picture theaters in the country. It was built of brick and seated 1,800 people, about equally divided between the first floor and the balcony. It was modelled after the New York Hippodrome, being very wide and having six aisles.
An unusual feature for the period was a moving stairway running from the first floor to the balcony. This escalator was located in the rear of the house close to the main entrance, so that holders of balcony tickets had but to take a few steps and then be whisked to the upper floor. There were side stairways at either side and 21 exits.
The interior decorations were in old rose and gold, with here and there a touch of blue. The seats were air cushioned, with leather coverings, and there was a large ladies room with plenty of rockers and twelve large mirrors.
A pipe organ was installed at a cost of $25,000 and Richard Henry Warren, of the Church of the Ascension, New York was persuaded to come to Rochester at a high figure to play it. In addition to the organ, which was equipped with chimes ranged around the front of the balcony, there was an orchestra of eight pieces.
The Gordon’s Theatre was built at a cost of $250,000 and was owned by The Gordon Brothers Amusement Company, of which N.H.Gordon, of Boston, was the moving spirit. Thomas S. Powers, formerly owner of four New England houses, was the resident manager.
Pictures were changed twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays and prices were five cents for women and children in the afternoon and ten cents for men. In the evening all downstairs seats were fifteen cents and ten cents for the balcony.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater