72 Bradford Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Savoy Cinema in the suburb of Stanningley in Leeds was a luxury cinema designed by William Illingworth (who also designed the massive New Victoria/Gaumont/Odeon in Bradford). It was one of three such suburban supers for the Westfield Pictures Ltd. circuit owned by A. Cansfield, and it was the only one to survive, the Dominion Cinema, Chapel Allerton and Clifton Cinema, Bramley have both recently been visited by the demolition crew. Sadly, the Savoy Cinema would soon join them.
The Savoy Cinema opened on 17th September 1937 with Paul Cavanagh in “Cafe Colette” and Alice Brady in “Mama Steps Out”. It had a seating capacity 1,000 seats in the stalls and balcony levels. It had a dignified facade in stone with three tall windows above the canopied entrance. The original stained glass was still more or less intact here and also in the side windows. These windows lit the circle foyer. On either side of the entry doors was a small shop, latterly used for a hairdresser and a cafe.
The Savoy Cinema closed 25 September 1965 with "How The West Was Won" and was converted into a bingo hall. After this closed the building was used as a retail outlet but even this was vacated and the building was bricked up and derelict. It was demolished in November 2004 and housing was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater