631-637 Bloxwich Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the Leamore district between Walsall & Bloxwich. The Rosum Cinema was built for Props: Rosumclift Cinemas Ltd., who were 90% owned by Edgar Summers & 10% Sidney Clift. The Rosum Cinema was named after Rose, the wife of Edgar Summers. It opened on 24th August 1936 with the Houston Sisters in “Happy Days Are Here Again”. It was designed by architectural firm Satchwell & Roberts. The same design was used again on the Clifton Cinema, Wellington, Shropshire. Seating was provided for 808 in the stalls and 392 in the circle. Projection equipment was BTH, and there was a small stage for variety acts to perform on when the cinema did occasional live shows to supplement the programme.
In 1959, two days a week part-time bingo was started. The final film was shown on 16th April 1966, when Julie Andrews in “Mary Poppins”, closed the building as a cinema. Leasing out to Star Cinemas as a Star Bingo Club soon afterwards, changing a number of bingo operators over a period of time, including EMI Bingo.
Currently the white stone facade of the building has been covered with metal sheeting. It has now been converted to retail use, with a William Hill bookmakers in the foyer area and Farm Foods supermarket in the stalls.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater