156 High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in Bloxwich, north of Walsall. The Grosvenor Cinema was opened on 11th December 1922 with Douglas Fairbanks in "The Three Musketeers". It was built on the site of the earlier Electric Palace Theatre (1912-1921), which had been operated by Pat Collins.
Pat Collins built the new Grosvenor Cinema, and it was designed by local Walsall based architects Hickton & Farmer. The facade is in a Classical style, faced with Hathernware terracotta. Inside the auditorium, the projection box was located at the rear of the stalls.
In November 1931, it was sold to Oscar Deutsch, and in July 1935, it was incorporated into his growing chain of Odeon Theatres, and was re-named Odeon. The Odeon was closed by the Rank Organisation on 2nd May 1959 with Peter Finch in "Operation Amsterdam".
It stood empty and derelict for many years. In 1982, it was refurbished and re-opened as Flix nightclub. By 2001, it was in use as a council run youth club known as the Electric Palace. This closed in late-2011.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater