Grey Street Picture House
110 Grey Street,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Originally operating as the Victoria Music Hall & billiard saloon, located in the centre of Newcastle upon Tyne. It was purchased by the Provincial Cinematograph Theatres(PCT) chain and converted into the Newcastle Picture House, which opened on 6th May 1914. Architects for the conversion were the architectural firm White & Stephenson.
It was re-named Grey Street Picture House on 5th June 1922. Taken over by George Black in August 1927, it was taken over by the General Theatre Corporation(GTC) in March 1928. GTC were taken over by the Gaumont British Theatres chain in May 1928.
The Grey Street Picture House was one of the last major cinemas in the city to convert to ‘talkies’, in July 1930. It was closed on 14th May 1932. Reasons given by Gaumont were the Depression, increased entertainment tax and opposition from the 2,600 seat Paramount Theatre only a few yards away, which had opened in 1931.
The building was converted into retail use. By 2011, it had become a branch of HSBC Bank.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater