1519 Euclid Avenue,
10 people favorited this theater
One of a set of theaters occupying the Loew’s Building on Euclid Avenue (the other being the Ohio Theatre), the State Theatre obviously, was built for the Loew’s circuit, opening on February 7, 1921, and, like the Ohio Theatre, was designed by Thomas W. Lamb. The State Theatre operated as a vaudeville and movie house, turning primarily to movies only after the 1930’s. The State Theatre closed the same week as the Ohio Theatre, in early-1969.
Like the Ohio Theatre, while it was closed, the State Theatre fell into serious disrepair, with holes in the auditorium’s roof opening the theater to the elements, destroying a great deal of its original decor. Furthermore, in the early-1970’s, the seats from both theaters were removed and sold in an auction.
The Playhouse Square Association, which was formed in 1970, when plans were announced that both the State Theatre and Ohio Theatre would be razed to make way for parking (which fortunately never came to fruition), brought the State Theatre back into the public awareness by hosting the Playhouse Square Cabaret in the State’s main lobby for several years, beginning in 1973, which was a huge success.
In 1977, the Loew’s Building was acquired by Cuyahoga County, and the next year, added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Since its restoration, bringing much of the 1920’s appearance back to this moderate-sized theater, the State Theatre is now used for cabaret-style performances, concerts and comedy acts.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater