235 W. 49th Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened in 1921 as the 49th Street Theatre, this house was one of four in the neighborhood built for the Shuberts during the period, all of them designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp. The facade featured a Beaux-Arts Classical Revival design very similar to that of Krapp’s 1925 Biltmore Theatre (now the Samuel J. Friedman Theatre) on 47th Street, but executed in terra cotta rather than face brick.
The Shuberts lost control of the house during the depression, and it sat dark for several years, except for being briefly opened for three productions sponsored by the Federal Theatre Project.
The New York City Guide published in 1939 as part of the American Guide Series of the Federal Writers Project listed Cinema 49 as one of three foreign language houses in Manhattan specializing in French films. The Cinema 49 closed in 1940, and was demolished late that year.
In 2010, The Pearl Hotel was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater