247 West 48th Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
With a long history of showing movies in between flop stage shows, the President Theatre deserves a listing here as possibly the only specialized Scandinavian movie theatre in New York. This was during the 1938-1945 war years when it was a full time cinema.
It also showed films as the Edyth Totten (1927), as the President (1931, 1937, 1945), the Hindenburg (1932) showing German movies, the Caruso (1935) showing Italian movies, the Acme (1937) and the Show Shop (1938).
It opened as the Edyth Totten Theatre on October 6, 1926 with the play “Secret Sands”. It bacame the Midget Theatre when it was taken over by an all-midget company and then became the Artef Theatre. Best known as the President Theatre from around 1929 with several other names in between until 1955 when it became Erwin Piscator’s Dramatic Workshop, closing in 1956. It was taken over as additional space for the adjacent Mamma Leone’s Restaurant, and was demolished in 1988.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater