207 King Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the west London inner city district of Hammersmith. Designed by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) in-house architect William R. Glen, the Regal Cinema replaced two earlier cinemas on the site (Blue Hall 1 and 2-Annexe).
It is a handsome theatre inside with seating for 1,283 in the stalls and 974 in the balcony. It was equipped with a Compton 2Manual/5Rank theatre organ that was opened by Gilbert Handley (The organ was not new, as it had previously been installed in the Granada Theatre, Hove). There was a stage and four large dressing rooms. The décor was simple, the main feature being a large galleon on the splay wall either side of the screen and, typically for Glen, concealed trough lighting. The Regal Cinema opened on 14th September 1936 with Clark Gable in “Wife vs Secretary” and Irene Dunne in “Magnificent Obsession” plus a stage show.
The Regal Cinema was renamed ABC in 1964 and closed for tripling in March 1975. Reopening took place 25 May with 662 seats in ABC1, 414 seats and 213 seats in ABC’s 2 & 3.
Running the usual gamut of names of former ABC house’s lately, the cinema eventually became the UGC and is now known as the Cineworld. It appears to be prosperous with usually five screenings of each film per day starting from around mid-day.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater