No one has favorited this theater yet
The Bijou Theatre was opened as a cinema on 24th June 1911. It had private boxes in the balcony, and there was also a tea lounge. The operating company when bankrupt in 1912 and it was closed. Re-opened on 7th October 1912 under new ownership as the Royal Leamington Picture Palace with Sarah Bernhardt in “"Queen Bess, Her Love Story”. Seating was provided for 600. In September 1930, under new ownership it became the Bedford Street Picture House, and when equipped for sound films it was soon re-named Scala Cinema.
In November 1937, it was taken over by the Stratford upon Avon Picture House Co. and became part of the Clifton Cinemas chain, headed by Sydney Clift & Leon Salberg.
The Scala Cinema was closed on 28th June 1952 with Mel Ferrer in “The Brave Bulls” and Scotty Becket in “Corky”. The building was taken over by an adjoning store, and was later sold & demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater