3938 Spring Grove Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
The Liberty Theatre was opened in 1909, and operated as a movie and part time vaudeville house for two decades. The theater was closed in 1929, and part of the building was converted into a restaurant, and restaurants have occupied the space most of the time since then.
The building is owned by the Deaf Club of Greater Cincinnati, and the club’s quarters occupy the rear portion of the former theater, with various rooms on the ground floor and an large hall on the upper floor, which looks as though it might still have the Liberty Theatre’s original auditorium ceiling.
The facade of the building retains its original triangular pediment and decorative trim, and is a pastiche of Colonial Revival styles with a few bits of Art Nouveau added for good measure. The overall effect, like that of many early movie theaters, is suggestive of an attraction along an early twentieth century amusement park midway. The front was originally studded with electric lights in red, white, and blue, adding to the carnival effect.
The Liberty Theatre building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater